Wednesday 20 February 2013

The Daylight War - Peter V. Brett



Enough has been said about Peter Brett's entrance into the Speculative Fiction world that I'll leave it alone.  There's not a lot that I can add.  But if you're interested in learning more, then here is a good place to start.

Let it be said that I am a big admirer of the author, as I am of most self-made people.  On the other hand, I find myself let down in many respects by his latest work, The Daylight War.  After the impressive début that was The Painted Man, I had high hopes for the development of The Demon Cycle.  And while Brett's sophomore effort, The Desert Spear had its detractors, it was a book I found to be a worthy successor.

Unfortunately, The Daylight War falls into many of the same traps as The Desert Spear, and this time, those mistakes are beginning to drag at the narrative.  As in it's predecessor, The Daylight War takes the reader back to the desert to cover past events, gradually leading us back into the present.  This is where, for me, many of the book's problems exist.  It's an eight hundred page novel; pacing is important.  And while I was willing to go along with the technique previously to learn the background and origins of Ahmann Jardir - one of two main protagonists in the series -  I found it maddening to be reading many of the same events from a third perspective here.  The fact that they are seen through the eyes of a secondary character only heightens the sense of redundancy.  In short, it has a terrible effect on the pacing of the novel.

One of the fiercest criticisms of Brett is his portrayal of women and the use of sexual perversions such as rape as a plot device.  And honestly, while I didn't mind so much in The Desert Spear, it's becoming increasingly uncomfortable to read.  I get what he is doing.  The stale and religiously indoctrinated Krasian society is about to be put through a crucible, which will more than likely force them to confront their values.  It's a fine line to tread, but one that I felt he lost control of here.

But perhaps my biggest problem with this latest volume was that it reads increasingly like a poorer cousin of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time.  While I love The Wheel of Time, I feel that Brett is in danger of losing his own voice.

Brett's prose, while simple, is effective.  His characters are interesting and well realised.  His concept is an enjoyable one, supplying some good, fun action beats.  His dialogue on the other hand, is terrible.  Bad enough that I'd actually prefer more exposition.

In short, The Daylight War is a book for people who are already fans of the series and of Brett's writing.  It is not a book that will win him any new fans.  And if The Wheel of Time  comparison is an apt one, then let's hope that this is Peter V. Brett's Crossroads of Twilight.  Unfortunately that's the only solace I can find.

My score - 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment